A typical development workflow will look something like this:
- Running your site locally in Visual Studio in Development Mode, you make changes to the code base. You test your changes in your local browser.
- Once satisfied with your changes, you will deploy the website to your Stage/UAT server (in Production Mode) usually via FTP, Web Deploy, or CI/D.
- You test your changes again on Stage/UAT to verify they are working the way you want. You can test the Stage/UAT server in Preview Mode and Live Mode.
- Once this has passed QA, you deploy your changes to your Live server usually via FTP, Web Deploy, or CI/D
We highly recommend using some sort of Source Control that integrates with Visual Studio whether it be Team Foundation Server or Git. Part of maintaining a website is maintaining its code base even if it’s just one user.
- Visual Studio Team Services
Please sign in to leave a comment.